To be eligible for employment as a police officer, you must meet the following minimum qualifications at time of application:
- Be a United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized).
- Have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) equivalent, which includes United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. Equivalence of non-U.S. education must be approved by the State of Florida’s Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.
- Be at least 21 years of age at time of hire and at least 19 years of age at time of application.
- Successfully passed the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Basic Ability Test.
- Possess, or be eligible to obtain within seven (7) calendar days of hire, a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Successfully complete any hiring process assessments.
- Additional training and/or certification(s) may be required as appropriate to assignment.
We prefer applicants who have one or more of the following qualifications:
- Have at least one year of prior law enforcement or security experience
- Have at least one year of experience volunteering or working with community organizations
- Have fluency in a language other than English, such as Spanish, French-Creole, Portuguese, Asian and Indo-European languages and American Sign Language
Ready to join BBPD? Here is how the hiring process works.
- Complete the online application here
- Take an entry level exam, followed by a videotaped interview comprised of situational exercises.
- Vetting interview
Based on successful completion of these elements, top candidates may be presented with a conditional offer.
You will then be required to do the following:
- Controlled Voice Stress Analysis
- Psychological Exam
- Physical Exam
- Drug Screen
- Background Investigation
Based on successful completion of these elements, you may be offered employment.
Salary & Benefits
Starting Salary: $62,451
City of Boynton Beach Police Department Employment Benefits:
- Top out salary $108,969 (after 10 years)
- Take Home Car (Upon release from FTO, 60 mile radius from BBPD HQ)
- Holiday Pay ($5,250 in additional salary, increases each year)
- City Pension (25 years, 3% multiplier)
- 8 year DROP
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Health Savings Account Contributions
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Personal Time Off
- Ability to earn comp time
- Wellness Program
- Tuition assistance
- Pension buy back (up to 5 years)
- $5,000 Incentive for Certified Police Officers